Mercy Ships brings hope and healing to the forgotten poor by mobilising people and resources worldwide, and serving all people without regard for race, gender, or religion. We have found a powerful way to share our blessings and we would love you to join us.
About This Role
The wards on board our hospital ships are where hope and healing meet. Working hands-on to deliver inpatient surgical care to our patients, our Ward Nurses work around the clock to see that each and every patient receives the care and attention they deserve in a hospital like no other.
We currently have immediate opportunities for the following to join us on board the Global Mercy during our 2023-2024 field service in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Opportunities open from September 2023 with a minimum commitment of two months.
We’re available to answer your questions! Please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
What You Will Contribute
- Administer holistic patient care to assigned patients and expect to care for both children and adults on a 20 bed open ward
- Employ recent surgical experience in providing pre- and post-operative care to patients receiving maxillofacial, reconstructive plastic, general, gynaecological or orthopaedic surgery (experience in one of these surgical specialties preferred)
- Partner with local Day Crew translators to provide culturally sensitive and compassionate care to patients
- Coordinate patient care with the specialty Team Leaders, Charge Nurses, Hospital Physicians and Surgeons
This is an unpaid volunteer role on board the Global Mercy, a hospital ship serving those in need by providing free, life-saving surgeries and strengthening health care systems.
- Registered Nurse with active license in home country; a minimum two years’ experience needed after licensure
- Recent acute inpatient surgical/medical/emergency room experience of at least two years full-time or three years part-time in the past 5 years AND at the point of application can show working 30 hours or more per week in any of these clinical areas within the past 12 months
- Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with fluency in English
- An ability to effectively work with others in a cross-cultural environment