Paediatric Ward Nurse
This is an unpaid volunteer role on board the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, hospital ships serving those in need in sub-Saharan Africa by providing free, life-saving surgeries and strengthening health care systems.
Provide holistic patient care for inpatient surgical patients, functioning within the clinical standards set by Mercy Ships. Specialties include maxillofacial, reconstructive plastic, obstetric fistula repair, general and orthopaedic surgery. Experience in one of the above surgical specialties preferred. Surgical experience is essential.
The Paediatric Ward Nurse volunteer position, part of the Hospital, will be located on the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, the world’s largest non-governmental hospital ships. The preferred minimum time commitment for this role is eight weeks.
- Registered Nurse with active license in home country; a minimum two years’ paediatric experience needed after licensure
- Recent acute paediatric inpatient surgical/medical/Emergency Room experience of at least two years full-time or three years part-time in the past 5 years AND at the point of application can show working 30 hours or more per week in any of these clinical areas within the past 12 months
- Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is required; PALS (Paediatric Advanced Life Support) preferred and ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) optional
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with fluency in English
- An ability to effectively work with others in a cross-cultural environment