Paediatric ICU Ward Nurse
This is an unpaid volunteer role on board the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, hospital ships serving those in need in sub-Saharan Africa by providing free, life-saving surgeries and strengthening health care systems.
Working hands-on to deliver inpatient surgical care to our patients, the Ward Nurses work around the clock to see that each and every patient receives the care and attention they deserve. Our Paediatric ICU Nurses primarily work on the Wards, and are assigned to the ICU when paediatric patients are admitted.
The Paediatric ICU Ward Nurse volunteer position, part of the Hospital, will be located on the Africa Mercy and Global Mercy, the world’s largest non-governmental hospital ships. The preferred minimum time commitment for this role is eight weeks.
- Registered Nurse with active license in home country; a minimum two years’ experience needed after licensure, including at least 1 year PICU/NICU experience taking care of critically ill children
- Recent PICU/NICU experience of at least one year full-time or three years part-time in the past 5 years AND at the point of application can show working 30 hours or more per week in an acute inpatient surgical/medical/Emergency Room or ICU setting within the past 12 months
- Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is required; PALS (Paediatric Advanced Life Support) preferred and ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) optional
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with fluency in English
- An ability to effectively work with others in a cross-cultural environment